Me in Assam - 2

       Please note this entire series of observations are not to point out or blame the authorities but to show lack of related skills training at various level causing lose of property and confidence of youth to do things or to stand on their own feet. I am exposing those individuals who tried to stop or insult me for Skill Development activities.  
  
       My first job #1 was to modify the sound system for morning assembly in the 170 feet long, 45 feet wide and 15 feet high tin shed. It had Rs.80 thousands worth sound system containing two channel 750 watt power amplifier, two 500 watts 50 kg speaker boxes in 2 trollies, 4 with stands and 2 Gooseneck microphones. I found out the mismanagement of that sound system with other devices scattered around in bad shape. 

     This photo is an example of lack of interest in learning Audio operations and management. I first took up the issue of microphone handling and placements. I tried to explain to the concerned users for more than 10 days, still no much improvement or reluctance to follow the instructions. Most of the time the system was wrongly connected and so called experts were trying to create lot of confusions. They were able to create noise but could not deliver correct word information to listeners. These so called audio experts made a habit of hiring sound system from external source for any important event of the school. For this I took permission to form group of students and staff to  learn proper knowledge and handling of sound system. The course material was developed and a group was formed including that expert photographer teacher called me “Old Man”.  

     The course had topics like electricity fundamentals, measurement units, devices / Parts, sound theory, microphones, speakers, preamps, power amps, audio mixers, arrangements of devices and managing the live sound for an event. The course was going on smoothly for a week and then for various reasons closed down. 
     
 

Side by side I have been given job #2 of modifying prayer hall Sound system, stage and lights. There was a wooden panelled shining stage, multi coloured lighting, wrong microphones and wrong impedance speakers were used.

I started with stage, sides and back was covered with non shining dark coloured curtains. For lighting 35 watts 12 CFL lamps installed. A 6 channel audio mixer was added to the previous 3 mics 75 watt amplifier. One boundary mic and 2 long mics with boom stands added. 

Same way 4 column speakers added to previous 4 column speakers and connected them to 100 volt line of the amplifier, the column speakers were fitted in angle towards listeners, before those were towards walls causing sound reflection from hard surfaces. The wiring and fitting of speakers were not done proper by the local wireman assigned for the job. The 8 ohms speakers were removed.






The wireless mic receivers fitted on the right side wooden column. This modified sound system installed in the right side wooden column of the stage.



    A collar mic was fitted on the lectern with radio antenna to remove unwanted mic shadows on the speaker while giving speech. All these modifications helped me to prove what this “Old Man” can deliver what is expected. But also created some group of enemies acting behind curtain. I created operation and installation document for the incharge of that stage and prayer hall

      The job # 3 was to install LCD projector and screen. standard stand screen was fitted up side down with specially made brackets. The local fabricator appreciated my design and made good job.   The principal has shown me his true color of appreciation. He remarked “you are good in Technical skills but zero in Human engineering !” I was quick to respond “that is because Technical problems can be corrected and controlled but humans are unpredictable and dangerous, I learnt to remain alert.” he narrowed his eyes behind his thick glasses and gave a funny smile. I got the expected result of my observations about this person.




Next part some more incidences of irresponsible  behaviour  of the people at places and my jobs to expand my skills in the Vivekanand Kendra activities.  


No comments: